Sunday, October 11, 2015

Wooded Winter Kingdom - Written December 11, 2000

     I stroll slowly through a wooded winter kingdom. No longer bare as they were in autumn, the trees are covered in a light dusting of snow. The setting sun reflects off the snow creating sparkle. A chilling gust of wind whistles through the branches, making the skin on my face prickle. A few snowflakes trickle from the branch above me, one landing just below my eyes and melting. The drop flows down my cheek like a tear, freezing my already cold face.

     Deeply I breathe the crisp cold air that turns cheeks and noses bright red. The air is filled with the scent of an impending snowstorm with just a hint of freezing sap. Ahead is a house with a chimney puffing smoke from a blazing fire. The breeze wafting towards me carries the smell of burning pine.

     Two squirrels scamper by close enough I can hear their claws on the branch. The chattering balls of fur knock several clumps of snow onto my upturned face. I open my mouth in surprise and accidentally catch falling flakes on my tongue, water with a tinge of ozone and wood chips filling my taste buds.

     I shake my head, a cloud of breath forming just beyond my lips and continue on my trek home. All I can think about is warming by the fire with a hot cup of apple cider. Getting my energy up, I sprint the quarter mile left back home, breath puffing behind me like a train.

No comments:

Post a Comment